Carolina Steinbrecher, born 1987 in Vienna, works as a cinematographer in Austria and Germany. Daughter of a French mother she speaks fluently French, German and English. Following her Bachelor of Art at Film Academy in Vienna under Wolfgang Thaler, she enrolled in the Master‘s program for Cinematography at Film University Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF. During her studies there she worked on several short films such as “Schwerelos” by Jannis Lenz and “Schwitzen” by Iris Blauensteiner, which won the Austrian Newcomer Award. Since 2015 she has been filming the long-term documentary “Running on Empty” alongside Director Lisa Weber with support from the Austrian Film Institute and the ORF. The full-length film “Jibril” by Henrika Kull, filmed while at Film University Babelsberg, premiered in 2018 in the section Panorama at Berlinale and received national and international acclaim. In Mai 2019 "Jibril" was released in the German Cinemas.
"Running on Empty" premiered in 2020 at Berlinale Panorama.
“Bliss”, her second feature project with Henrika Kull was shot in 2019/2020 and is currently in Post Production.
Carolina was lucky, possible to shoot in Austria, Germany, UK, Portugal, Brazil, Mexico and São Tomé e Príncipe.
© Marisa Vranjes / Edmond Laccon
* „BLISS“ (in Post-Production), Feature Film, Director: Henrika Kull, Production: Flare Film
* „Running on Empty“ (2020), Documetary Film, Director: Lisa Weber, Production: Takacs Film
* „Beautiful You“ (2018), 19min, Short Movie , Director: Bernadette Kolonko, Production: Filmuniversität
* „Jibril“ (2018), 83min, Feature Film , Director: Henrika Kull, Production: Filmuniversität Babelsberg
* „The Silence in between“ (2018), Short Movie, Director: Monica Tedja, Production: FuB / RBB
* „Rast“ (2016), 55 min, Documentary Film, Director: Iris Blauensteiner
* „Schwerelos“ (2015), 9 min, Short Documentary Film, Director: Jannis Lenz
* „Gatos de Luz“ (2014), 15 min, Short Documetary Film, Director: Lena Weiss
* „Schwitzen“ (2014) 30min, Short Movie, Regie: Iris Blauensteiner
* „L´Animale“ (2018), Feature Film, Director: Katharina Mückstein
* „Gwendolyn“ (2017), Documentary Film, Director: Ruth Kaaserer, Production: Soleil Film
* „Dokumente, die die Welt bewegen“ (2017) (TV-Documentary) Director: Jakob Brossmann, Production: ORF
FESTIVALS (Selection) & AWARDS
* "Running on Empty": World Premiere: Premiere Berlinale Panorama 2020
* „Jibril“ : World Premiere: Premiere Berlinale Panorama 2018 | Taipei FF, Taiwan | Fünf Seen Filmfestival, Germany | Cinema Jove – Valencia IFF, Spain – Official Competition | São Paulo IFF, Brazil – New Directors Competition |Exground Filmfest, Germany
Nomination: First Steps | Award: Studio Hamburg Nachwuchspreis
* "Beautiful You": World Premiere: Palm Springs Short Film Festival 2020 | Filmfest Dresden 2020
* „Gwendolyn“: Viennale 2017, Dok Leipzig 2017 | Award: Best Cinematography Diagonale 2018.
* „L´Animale“: World Premiere: Berlinale Panorama 2018
* „Rast“: This Human World Festival, 2017, Wien
* „Best Documentary“ at theMontreal World Film Festival for „Schwerelos“
* „Jury and Public Award“ at the VIS Festival for „Gatos de Luz“
* „Best Austrian Newcomer Award“ at the Vienna Independant Shorts Festival for „Schwitzen“